Following the high route pass of Cho La (5330m) into Mount Everest’s Base Camp, this is one of the more adventurous treks in the Everest region of the Himalayas. From the Sherpa heartland to the Gokyo valley, this ascent follows the Dudh Koshi and Khumbu basins, providing breathtaking views of four 8,000m peaks: Everest, Cho Oyu, Makalu, and Nepal’s largest glacier, the Ngozumpa glacier. We explore the blue Gokyo lakes before heading to the Khumbu Valley and Mount Everest’s base camp through the Cho La (5330m) high route pass.
- Stand on the edge of a chain of six turquoise glacier-fed lakes.
- Hike along the Ngozumpa Glacier, the Himalaya's greatest glacier.
- Avoid the Everest throng and take in the spectacular vistas instead.
- Climb to the top of Gokyo Ri (5,357 m) for breathtaking views of Everest, Lhotse, and Cho Oyu.
- Return over the Renjo La pass (5,340 m), one of Nepal's most picturesque passes.
- Trek through Khumjung, a Sherpa hamlet that is home to a'real' yeti skull.
- Peer over a wasteland of rock and ice that is the enormous Ngozumpa Glacier from 'Scoundrel's viewpoint' near the fifth lake.